A Donor Advised Fund offers individuals and families the ease and flexibility of giving similar to a private foundation but without all the expense and administration. Gifts of cash or appreciated securities can be donated to set up your fund. You use your fund to make grants to charities over a period of time. Your gift can also grow tax free through several investment options. You can also set up a Donor Advised Endowment Fund to build a fund that will give to charity in perpetuity and pass your giving tradition on to future generations of your family. The Community Foundation will do all the administration so that you can focus on your philanthropy.
What does it cost?
Initial donation or more
.60% or $100*
.05% up to .83%
How does it work?
• You make a gift of $5,000 or more to establish a donor advised fund or $15,000 for an endowed advised fund.
• You receive an immediate federal tax deduction on gift amounts up to 50% of your adjusted gross income (30% AGI on contributions of appreciated stock) and one tax receipt to retain from the Foundation.
• Additional gifts of cash or appreciated securities can be made at any time to grow your fund.
• Over time, you recommend grants from your named fund to charities.
• We make it easy for you to support local charities as well as charities around the country. You can recommend grants to any qualified 501(c)(3) charity.
• We offer online fund access and online grant submissions so that you can access your fund, check your balance and investment performance, and recommend a grant from anywhere you are located.
• A low administrative fee of .60% (60 basis points) or less is charged annually. See Administrative Fee Structure
• Your fee supports the work of the Whitefish Community Foundation to benefit the surrounding Whitefish community.
• We offer confidentiality in all your charitable giving.
• You can name your fund after you, your family, or any name you choose. You can be completely anonymous in your giving or choose to be recognized for your generosity.
• With a fund at the Community Foundation, you will have access to the current and important needs in the community.
• The Community Foundation will take care of all the due diligence in all your grant making: The Community Foundation verifies that your grant recommendations meet the grant making policies and that the grantee organization is a qualified public charity or governmental entity.
It’s easy to set-up and get started. Download your Donor Advised Fund package today:
Easier to Manage than Private Foundations
• A Donor Advised Fund offers many of the benefits of a private foundation without the added expenses and administrative burdens.
• Your Fund can be invested and it will earn tax free investment earnings.
• We do all the record keeping for you and there is no 990 to file.
• No minimum annual distribution to meet unlike a private foundation.
• You are recognized for your grant recommendations or you are able to remain anonymous unlike a private foundation where you must disclose your grants on your form 990.
• Just like a private foundation, you are able to set-up successor advisors on your fund and include your children in your family philanthropy.
Engage your Family
• Engage in family giving services – participate in family discussions and activities with Whitefish Community Foundation facilitators to create a family mission statement and philanthropic plan. A one page Fund History can be included with each of the grants to inform the grantee about the fund family history.
Give with Flexibility
• You are eligible for a tax deduction upon receipt of your donation into the account.
• Avoid capital gains by donating long-term appreciated assets such as public or privately held stock, real estate, mutual funds and life insurance into the account.
• Decide the timing of your grants to charity – there is no requirement to advise a grant from the account in a given year.
Give with Confidence
• Take advantage of our philanthropic services. Tell us what you want to accomplish or what you care about – we’ll help you focus your resources to make the most impact.
• Keep updated on local and regional news that’s relevant to your interests and passion.